Tuesday, January 5, 2010

How to restore Visual Studio .sln file icon

I merely tried to associate .sln file type with the IDE so Windows 7 taskbar will remember my recent projects and I could access them with right click. I ended up reinstalling Visual Studio. This was after I tried to fix it in registry, just to find out Windows 7 has a different mechanism for file types associations. The big frustration was I could not find the icons themselves to put them on the registry. Visual Studio has a "Restore File Associations" feature. It doesn't fix the icons! Reinstalling after deleting all related registry values didn't work either! After a couple of hours where I visited sites like Ways Bill Gates Should Die, and Googling a lot I found the solution:

  1. Right click a .sln file
  2. Click "Open with..."
  3. Click "Browse..."
  4. Go to "Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSEnv"
  5. Choose "VSLauncher.exe"
  6. Click "Open"
  7. Check "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"
  8. Click "OK"

3 comments:

  1. This did not work for me, the icon is still blank, also for me I had to go to "Program Files (x86)" since I have 64-bit windows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't work for me either. Also have 64-bit Windows.

    ReplyDelete